Evening & Weekend MBA Program
Marketing - Technology Marketing & Product Management
Career Overview: The tech marketing and product management industry is fast paced. Products are more complex. As a result, tech companies tend to break the umbrella "marketing" function into two groups: "product management" and "marketing/marketing communications".
Product management focuses on getting all the product features and functionality right. They do consumer research and direct the engineers/developers to design the product to meet the consumer's needs. They do a lot of product testing, project planning, etc.
Marketing in a tech company is separate from product development and is more about developing the communications / advertising / promotion and product roll out plans for a new product. Marketing does not have P&L responsibility like it does in a traditional consumer products firm. They are often responsible for providing guidance to the corporate sales force regarding their products (pricing, product options, etc.) who interface directly with the customer.
Competencies: Similar to brand management, but they will want to see a strong interest/past experience in technology/internet, passion for technology, and other more tech-focused skills.
- EWMBA 224A Managerial Accounting
- EWMBA 231 Corporate Financial Management
- EWMBA 252 Negotiations
- EWMBA 260 Customer Insight
- EWMBA 261 Marketing Research
- EWMBA 262 Strategic Brand Management
- EWMBA 264 High Technology Marketing Management
- EWMBA 266 Managing Sales & Distribution Channels
- EWMBA 268B International Marketing
- EWMBA 269 Pricing
- EWMBA 290I Managing Innovation and Change
- EWMBA 299M Marketing Strategy
Please note that these courses are not necessarily offered every semester or every year.
Useful Extracurricular Activities:
- Joining the Haas Technology Club
- Participating in marketing competitions
- Attending Marketing Firm Night
- Practicing case interviews
- >play Digital Media Conference