Federal Loan Eligibility
General Eligibility Requirements:
In order to be eligible for any of the federal loan programs, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident, or eligible non-citizen
- You must have a valid Social Security Number
- You must be enrolled at least half-time for each semester (6 units)
- You must not be in default on a federal educational loan and not owe a refund on a federal grant
- If male, you must be registered with the Selective Service or obtain a waiver from the Selective Service Office
Federal Grad PLUS Loan Eligibility Requirements
To be eligible for a Direct Grad PLUS Loan, you must also pass a credit check to ensure that there is no "adverse credit" your credit report.
The definition of "adverse credit" for the Grad PLUS Loan is defined in detail on the FAQ section of the FSA (Federal Student Aid) website.