Haas School of Business


How to Apply

To request federal loans, you must file a FAFSA. The FAFSA must be filed each year that you wish to receive federal loans--you will not be offered a loan until the FAFSA for the applicable year has been filed. Although the FAFSA must be filed each year, the supplemental steps of Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling only need to be completed once while at Haas.


Application Process for Federal Loans
  • File a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov [annually]
  • If the UC Berkeley Financial Aid Office requests it, submit additional documentation [contact Haas Financial Aid]
  • Once you have a UC CalNet ID and passphrase and have received your Financial Award Notification (beginning in June), accept your awards on MyFinAid [annually]
  • Complete the Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) for Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans [just the first year you borrow]
  • Complete the Graduate PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) if you also wish to borrow this loan [just the first year you borrow]
  • Complete the Federal Loan online Entrance Counseling [just the first year you borrow]
  • Sign up for Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) to more quickly receive loan funds borrowed beyond billable costs at http://eftstudent.berkeley.edu [just the first year you borrow]

Comprehensive checklist for new students.