Industry Leaders at Haas
Each year, dozens of business leaders, thought leaders, and innovators are brought to campus to share their real-world experiences and insights. These industry leaders are frequently keynote speakers for annual conferences organized by students. The Haas School also hosts a number of speaker series such as the Dean's Speaker Series, Peterson Series on Entrepreneurship, and The Berkeley Entrepreneur's Forum. In addition, Haas faculty members often play a strong role in state and federal government affairs.
Dean's Speaker Series
Last year, the Dean's Speaker Series
featured industry and financial leaders such as:
- Marek Belka, Head of the National Bank of Poland
- David Cush, President & CEO, Virgin America
- Peter Levene, Chairman, Lloyd's of London
- John Chambers, Chairman & CEO, Cisco
- Ed Catmull, President & Co-founder, Pixar
View these lectures and more in the Haas video room
Expert Faculty Panels
Last year, the Haas School also presented a series of expert faculty panels on the recent financial turmoil, addressing topics such as:
View these debates and more in the Haas video room
Many successful executives have visited campus to share their insight and expertise as keynote speakers for annual conferences.
- Biz Stone, Co-founder of Twitter
- Laura Alber, President of Williams-Sonoma, Inc.
- Chris Anderson, Editor of Wired Magazine
- Jack Calhoun, President of Banana Republic
- Steve Blatter, Senior Vice President of Sirius Satellite Radio
- Cammie Dunaway, Executive VP Sales & Marketing of Nintendo of America, Inc.
- Reed Hastings, Founder and CEO of Netflix
- George Lucas, Founder and Chairman of Lucasfilms
- Jennifer Maxwell, Co-founder of PowerBar
- Paul Otellini, CEO of Intel
- John Riccitiello, CEO of Electronic Arts
- Nils Tcheyan, Director for Strategy and Operations (Africa), World Bank
- Alice Waters, Chef, Author, Proprietor of Chez Panisse
- Sandy Alderson, former CEO of the San Diego Padres
- David Steel, Senior Vice President of Samsung North America
- Leonard D. Schaeffer, Founder and former CEO of Wellpoint
- Paul H. Keckley, Executive Director of the Deloitte Center for Health Solutions
- Rohit Bhagat, Global Chief Operating Officer of Barclays Global Investors
- Shane Kim, Corporate VP of Strategy and Business Development for Microsoft's Interactive Entertainment Division
Haas Faculty in Government Roles
Since 1898, Berkeley's business school faculty members have played a strong role in state and federal government affairs.
- In 2009, Professor Laura Tyson was named to President Obama's Economic Recovery Advisory Board. Previously, Tyson served as the chair of the National Economic Council under President Clinton.
- Michael Katz, who was deputy assistant attorney general for economic analysis in the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice, and former chief economist at the Federal Communications Commission.
- Professor Carl Shapiro recently joined the US Department of Justice as the chief economist in the department's antitrust division.
- James Wilcox served as the chief economist at the Office of the Comptroller of Currency.
- David Levine was senior economist on the Council of Economic Advisers.
- And professor and former Dean Tom Campbell was a US Congressman for five terms, a California State Senator for one term, and recently served as director of finance for the State of California.
Sara L. Beckman
"All of my classes are highly interactive. I attempt to create a classroom environment in which students feel comfortable asking 'stupid' questions, challenging one another and me directly, and sharing their own perspectives and stories."