Graduate Program in Health Management
Dual Degree Program
Program Requirements: Curriculum
MBA/MPH students are expected to complete 80 units of coursework during their 2 1/2 years at Berkeley.
- Students must have at least 45 units from the Haas School and 32 units from the School of Public Health.
- The remaining 3 units may be taken from any graduate division on campus.
By comparison, an MBA-only degree requires 51 units; a MPH-only degree with a concentration in Health Policy and Management requires 48 units.
The MBA and MPH programs have separate sets of core courses for all students, which MBA/MPH students are expected to complete. In addition, the Health Management departments at the Haas School and the School of Public Health have their own set of core classes which MBA/MPH students must complete.
Course load requirements
|Program||Core Classes||Health Management Core Classes||Elective Classes||Total|
|Any other graduate program||0||0||3||3|
- MBA Core classes - 21 units
- MPH Core classes - 10 to 13 units
- PH 200C Public Health Core Breadth (4)
- PH 250A Epidemiological Methods I (3)
- PH 297 Public Health Field Placement (3 or 6)*
- MBA Health Management Core classes - 5 units:
- MBA 297A Healthcare in the 21st Century (3)
- Students take at least 2 units from following courses - 2 units
- MBA 290T Biotech: Industry Perspectives and Biz Dev (2)
- MBA 290T Entrepreneurship in Biotech (2)
- MBA 290T Development of Biopharmaceuticals (1 or 2)
- MBA 292N-2 Social Sector Solutions (3)
- MBA 296 Health Information Services (2)
- MBA 296 Innovation in Healthcare (2)
- MBA 296 The Changing Healthcare Economy (2)
- MBA 296 Healthcare Marketing (2)
- MBA 296 Management of Biotech, Pharma and Medical Devices (2)
- MBA 297B Advanced HC Finance (2)
- MPH Health Management Core Classes - 14 units:
- PH 220 Health Policy Decision-Making (3)
- PH223C Strategic Management of Health Services (3)
- PH223E Capstone Seminar in Health Policy and Management (2)
- PH225 Legal Basis for Public Health (3)
- Students take one of the following courses - 3 units:
- PH226D International Health Economics (3)
- PH226B Microeconomics of Healthcare Policy (3)
- MBA electives - 19 units
- MPH electives - 8 units
- Any other graduate program - 3 units:
- Students must complete 3 units through courses offered by the MBA, MPH, or any other Berkeley graduate program.
* Note: Students must take PH297 summer internship for at least 3 units (one summer). For the second summer, they may either do a second internship for 3 units OR take a 3 unit SPH elective during the fall or spring semesters.
Health Management Program elective courses
There is ample opportunity to take electives at both the Haas School and the School of Public Health, as well as elsewhere on campus.
Health Management electives
- MBA 215 Economics of the Public and Nonprofit Sectors (3)
- MBA 296 Marketing and Fundraising for Nonprofit and Public Organizations (2)
- MBA 296 Nonprofit Boards of Directors (1)
- MBA 296 Financial Management of Nonprofit Organizations (1)
- MBA 296 Strategic Management of the Nonprofit Organization (2)
- MBA 296 Seminar on Nonprofit Management (1)
- PH 200A Current Issues in Public Health Ethics: Research and Practice (2)
- PH 205 Program Planing, Development and Evaluation (3)
- PH 222B Health Technology Strategy (3)
- PH 224A Healthcare Organizations and Environments (3)
- PH 228 Cost Effectiveness Analysis in Health and Medicine (3)
- PH 229 Public Health and the Law (3)
- PH 298.28 Environmental Health Policy (3)
- PH 298.37 Health Policy Advocacy (3)
- PH 299 US Food and Drug Administration (2)
See the elective courses(.pdf) rated based on their relevance given different career paths. Those who want to pursue a career in consulting should choose electives in the area they wish to consult. For example, those who wish to consult in pharmaceutical or biotechnology area should choose courses under that column.
For information about the MBA curriculum, contact:
Julia Min Hwang
Executive Director, Full-Time MBA Program
Haas School of Business, Room S440
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720