One of the guiding principles of Berkeley Haas is "beyond yourself." The B-BAY session on critical thinking takes students beyond themselves in two ways. You will:
- Reach beyond what you've learned in high school to wrestle with bigger issues, using academic rigor and critical thinking
- Grapple with real-world issues that have a global impact beyond local and national borders
Every year, 50 high-school students from around the globe spend two weeks at B-BAY on the Berkeley Haas campus, where:
- They immerse themselves in the culture, academics, and life at Berkeley.
- Berkeley Haas professors and corporate guest speakers share their insights and real-world experience.
- You will focus on business cases that address social and environmental challenges, under the auspices of the Institute for Business and Social Impact, led by Laura D'Andrea Tyson, economist, policymaker, professor, former dean, and long-time champion of positive change in the for-profit, non-profit, and public sectors.
This college prep business program is tailored to help students:
- Build confidence and learn about your strengths through teamwork
- Enhance your ability to interact, discuss, argue, debate, and give oral presentations
- Expand your communication and leadership skills.
- Learn the fundamentals and vocabulary of business
- Develop the research skills essential to college and business
- Take a social impact idea and assess its potential to have an environmental impact and be financially sustainable
- Understand how to create and validate a business model intended to create social impact
- Receive a UC Berkeley Business Academy for Youth Certificate of Completion
- Create a network of like-minded students from across the globe
- Have fun!
Experience a Day in the Life of a College Student
You'll meet a panel of undergrads from UC Berkeley and other universities who will talk about their college experience and answer questions. Admissions advisors from Berkeley Haas and UC Berkeley Undergraduate Admissions will lead an interactive session to help you better understand the domestic and international college admissions process and how to apply to CAL. You will also get a head start on how to approach and write your UC personal statement and college application essay.