Due to the unique nature of the summer term at UC Berkeley, if students are enrolled in summer and expect VA Benefits for that term, they must notify Michael Cooper in order for any funds to be requested and subsequently disbursed.
Types of Benefits
The Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) website provides extensive details on the education benefits available to veterans in various statuses, such as vocational/rehabilitation, the Post 9/11 GI Bill, and active duty.
The Haas School of Business, as part of the public University of California system, is one of the few top ranked MBA programs in the country that is able to benefit from the expanded Post 9/11 Benefits signed into law in January 2011. Depending on length of qualifying service, veterans can obtain:
- Funding for up to 100% fees
- A monthly housing allowance
- An annual book stipend up to $1,000
The MFE students are not eligible for the CAL Vet Tuition/Fee Exemption as funding differs between programs.
Overview of Process
After admission to the program:
- Request your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA Office.
- Submit your COE, a completed New Veteran Intake Form and Graduate Veterans Education Plan to Veteran Services, and please copy the Haas Financial Aid Office.
- Ultimately, benefits covering fees will be disbursed to the university when you start your program. Housing allowances and book allowances are disbursed directly to the student.
Office of the Registrar
120 Sproul Hall #5404
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720
Ph (510) 642-1592, Fax (510) 643-4222