Job Title: Special Events Manager
Job ID: 15022
Location: Main Campus-Berkeley
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Department: Haas School of Business
Application Review Date: The First Review Date for this job is: January 3, 2012
Closing: January 28, 2013
The Haas School of Business develops innovative leaders -- individuals who redefine how we do business. Berkeley-Haas, second oldest business school in the United States, educates 2,200 students each year in six degree-granting programs, and hundreds more through executive education programs. A team of 300 staff members supports these students, faculty and alumni through work in areas that include Admissions, Student Services, Career Management, Administration, and Development.
Berkeley-Haas offers opportunities to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and learn continually. Our culture is captured by Four Defining Principles (Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always and Beyond Yourself) that distinguish Berkeley-Haas as a place to learn—and a place to work.
To learn more about the Haas School visit: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/haas/about/employment.html
We are currently recruiting a Special Events Manager for the Haas Schools Development & Alumni Relations office.
• Designs innovative events appropriate for specific audiences of donors, alumni and friends of the business school. Conducts comprehensive event planning for complex events, including conception, design, development, coordination, implementation and post-event evaluation.
• Plans and manages a wide variety of events, from small, donor-centric breakfasts and dinners with the dean, to large-scale galas, student-alumni networking events, international symposia, and pre-game tailgates. Coordinates the timeline of all major events, assuring effective flow and delivery.
• Maintains and manages the department’s master calendar of events in coordination with the university and greater Haas community.
• Works with clients to create and successfully execute special events that meet their objectives.
• Serves as a liaison and maintains effective relationships with a wide variety of vendors and campus officials. Directs multiple service contractors and subcontractors. Negotiates contracts and pricing to assure that work is completed to specification. With international vendors and clients, negotiates contracts that may be in foreign currencies.
• Manages the purchase of discounted wine and the supply of donated wines to be used at year-round events.
• Ensures that over 60 annual events run smoothly and effectively. Successfully recognizes and resolves potential and real problems in a timely manner using tact, sensitivity, discretion and political acumen.
• Works with campus officials, police and security to assure crowd safety and management. Creates innovative practices to address environmental concerns and appropriate, sustainable resources.
• Provides guidelines and advice on-site and in advance of all events. Manages events to address the requirements and requests of all event participants. Oversees the successful planning and delivery of “distant events,” both domestic and international.
• With oversight from the Executive Director, develops and maintains comprehensive event budgets and ensures that event costs do not exceed budgeted allocations. Creates “exceptional approval” memos to expedite payment of high-profile, complex events, many involving the dean, other school officials and donors.
• Mentors and/or manage less experienced events staff, specifically the Events Coordinator, for whom s/he serves as a work leader. Assures that the Event Coordinator’s work load is appropriate and that tasks are completed successfully and on schedule. Provides on-going feedback and oversight to Events Coordinator.
• Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
• Related experience in planning and executing complex events for strategic impact
• Advanced knowledge of concepts, principles and best practices of event planning and public relations, including design, organization and production of complex events.
• Advanced knowledge of the campus, including its vision, mission, goals, objectives, achievements and infrastructure.
• Advanced long-range planning, project management and organizational skills.
• Advanced interpersonal communication skills to build and maintain relationships at all organizational levels and with a variety of publics.
• Highly developed political acumen skills and social perceptiveness to successfully meet the needs of guests and ensure guest satisfaction; that is, for fundraising events, skill in effectively providing donor stewardship.
• Advanced judgment, decision-making and problem recognition/avoidance/resolution skills.
• Advanced skill in meeting goals and objectives within budget and time constraints.
• Advanced skills in guiding and mentoring less experienced staff.
• Advanced knowledge of budgetary guidelines as well as their execution
• Advanced knowledge of event planning software & office tools
• Advanced knowledge of purchase & procurement policy, financial policy, and related software
• Advanced knowledge of safety & security standards
• Ability to work some evening and/or weekends.
Salary & Benefits
The salary for this exempt full-time career position will range between $51,000 annually up to $66,238 annually plus benefits.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
This is a fulltime exempt position classified by the university as an Events Specialist 4.
This position requires some evening and/or weekend work.
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
UC Berkeley has an online applicant website and no longer accepts applications via mail.
We require applicants to submit a cover letter and resume when applying for this position.
Please submit the cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
To apply, please visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu
Haas School Staff Positions Currently Open