Job Title: Student Experience Director
Job ID: 15158
Location: Main Campus-Berkeley
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Department: Haas School of Business – Executive MBA Programs
Application Review Date: The First Review Date for this job is: January 29, 2013
Closing Date February 14, 2013
Under general supervision of the Executive Director of Part-time and Executive MBA programs, the Student Experience Director is responsible for the oversight, management and implementation of student services and operations for both the Evening/Weekend MBA (EWMBA) program and the MBA for Executives (EMBA) program, and will assist with admissions activities as needed. This position will also supervise the Student Experience Manager group
Applying advanced Student Services concepts, provides the most complex student services to the organization's management, faculty and students
• Serve as primary contact for about 750 Evening/Weekend MBA students and 140 MBA for Executives students. Respond to inquiries from students, faculty, MBA program staff, and other campus offices regarding program requirements and requests for assistance. Communicate regularly with students and faculty regarding program updates, events, scheduling, and other matters of importance.
• Develop strategic initiatives and ideas to enhance the student experience, both inside and outside of the classroom. These initiatives should include the development of technological solutions designed to improve the student experience.
• Assist Academic Affairs staff with academic advising to students regarding curriculum, course scheduling, electives, degree requirements and University, School, and program policies; monitor students’ progress through the program and perform degree verification audits for all graduating students.
• Maintain relations with the University’s graduate division and all other central campus units that provide student services, in addition to the Part-time and Executive MBA program staff and faculty.
• Work with Director of Academic Affairs to administer the alumni auditing program.
• Oversee the planning and development of all aspects of orientation and graduation; plan and coordinate workshops, field trips, and guest speakers that support the curricular goals of the program. Assist with international study trips, as needed.
• Create and implement new and exciting extracurricular activities to enhance the student experience. Key aspect of this will be to develop ways to have the student populations from the different programs (EWMBA and MBA for Executives) to interact together. Will also work with Full-time MBA program office to create ways to have Full-time MBA students to connect with the EWMBA and MBA for Executive students.
• Serve as advisor and mentor to student leadership officers. Actively engage with students and participate in student activities.
• Maintain comprehensive understanding of University and School policies.
• Department/School/College Policies: Advises executive director and dean’s office on the formulation of Part-time and Executive MBA program policy by advising them on areas needing clarification and identifying solutions; analyzes the consequences of organization's academic policies and recommends new or changed policies; recommends solutions to organization's problems without precedent.
MANAGEMENT and OPERATIONS:
• Hire, train and supervise Student Experience managers and other program office staff.
• Oversee key operational aspects of the program, working closely with the Director of Academic Affairs. Liaise with school and campus departments and service providers including Career Services, Facilities, Computing, Media Services, Alumni Relations, Marketing, Library, Registrar’s Office, UC Health Services, Parking, and others.
• Advise faculty and students on new or changed policies or procedures and provide solutions for implementation of them.
• Assist Executive Director and Director of Academic Affairs in staffing courses and managing relationships with faculty and lecturers.
• Provide program information and statistical reports to Executive Director.
• Assist with budget management, as needed.
RECRUITMENT AND ADMISSIONS
• Acts as the key program staff liaison between the Program staff and the Part-time MBA Admissions staff. This requires the position to work with their counterpart on the Admissions side to manage the relationship between the two parties,
• Participate in admissions activities. This may include reading applications, interviewing candidates, presenting at information sessions and other events, and engaging in yield activities.
• Assist with marketing and marketing research, including student evaluations and surveys and the development of marketing materials/publications as needed.
Participate in professional organizations and engage with colleagues at other schools.
• Advanced knowledge of advising and counseling techniques.
• Knowledge of University-specific computer application programs and knowledge of University and departmental principles and procedures involved in risk assessment and evaluating risks as to likelihood and consequences.
• Skills in monitoring/assessing people, processes or services, to make improvements.
• Skills in project management, social perceptiveness to be aware of others' reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
• Ability in problem identification, reasoning, ability to develop original ideas to solve problems, persuasion, leadership.
• In-depth knowledge of the field's post-degree employment opportunities and practices.
• Interpersonal skills. Multicultural competencies; ability to work with diverse populations. Customer service approach. Ability to be sensitive and use good judgment in counseling situations.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including demonstrated effectiveness in public speaking.
• Strong organizational, problem solving, and project management skills. Flexibility and initiative in seeking service improvements and procedural efficiency.
• Proven ability to manage staff and be a good team player.
• Ability to work with objectivity and discretion in relating to students, faculty and staff.
• Ability to travel and represent program externally.
• Experience in higher education student services or admissions and/or relevant corporate experience (e.g., marketing, operations, recruiting) preferred.
• Experience working in education at the graduate level and/or experience working with professional, executive clientele preferred.
• Familiarity with MBA programs/students preferred.
• Experience working in a corporate environment and/or an understanding of industries and functions of MBA applicants preferred.
• Demonstrated proficiency in Word, Excel, and Access (preferred).
• Flexibility to work evenings and weekends when class is in session and for special events such as Graduation.
• MBA or graduate degree preferred.
Salary & Benefits
The salary for this exempt, full-time career position will be commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
This is a fulltime career position which has been classified as a Student Services Advisor 4.
This position will require approximately 5% time traveling locally or domestically, and 5% time traveling internationally.
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
UC Berkeley has an online applicant website and no longer accepts applications via mail.
We require applicants to submit a cover letter and resume when applying for this position.
Please submit the cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
To apply, please visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu
Haas School Staff Positions Currently Open