Job Title: Admissions Reader (4508U) #16403
Job ID: 16403
Location: Main Campus-Berkeley
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Department: Haas School of Business
Application Review Date: The First Review Date for this job is: August 16, 2013.
Resumes will be reviewed continuously until the position is filled.
The Haas School of Business develops innovative leaders - individuals who redefine how we do business. Berkeley-Haas, the second oldest business school in the United States, educates 2,200 students each year in six degree-granting programs, and hundreds more through executive education programs. A team of 300 staff members support these students, faculty and alumni through work in areas that include Admissions, Student Services, Career Management, Administration, and Development.
Berkeley-Haas offers opportunities to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and learn continually. Our culture is captured by Four Defining Principles (Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always and Beyond Yourself) that distinguish Berkeley-Haas as a place to learn—and a place to work.
To learn more about the Haas School visit: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/haas/about/employment.html
The Undergraduate Program Admissions Committee of the Haas School of Business evaluates and selects students for the business major through a highly selective and comprehensive admissions process, reviewing over 2100 applications of both continuing Berkeley and transfer students. Our program has approximately a 50% admission rate (20% for transfers) and over a 99% completion rate. The Undergraduate Program serves approximately 700 students in a two year bachelor’s program for juniors and seniors and thousands of non-majors taking business courses. We are recruiting up to two Readers to assist the Berkeley-Haas Undergraduate Admissions Committee in screening and evaluating applications for admission to the Undergraduate Program.
• Attend full day of training in November and February and 2 half day trainings in November and December. All training will be conducted via web/phone conference.
• Read and evaluate approximately 75 applications per week (number of files per week may vary depending on applicant pool) from December through March
• Review applicants’ undergraduate transcripts, resume, essays and eligibility
• Summarize applicant’s strengths and weaknesses and provide timely input on the applicant’s candidacy in relation to the applicant pool
• Exercise professional judgment in reviewing, evaluating, and recommending applicants for admission using established guidelines
• Consult with experienced level staff when reviewing more complex applications
• Higher education admissions experience
• Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training
• Working knowledge of UC admissions requirements for campus/school/college
• Experience interacting with undergraduate college students, staff, and faculty in college or university environments
• Ability to read applications 25 hours each week, 10 weeks total, during the months of December through March
• Ability to analyze and synthesize large amounts of information online
• Ability to read and manage electronic application files via multiple platforms
• Ability to utilize online collaboration tools
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Demonstrated discretion and sensitivity dealing with urgent and/confidential situations
• Excellent organizational, written, and oral communication skills.
• Strong computer proficiency skills
• Admission experience at a large university in a highly competitive setting and/or direct undergraduate professional academic advising experience in a selective academic department or program.
Salary & Benefits
The salary for this limited term part-time position is $24 per hour.
• Up to 2 Readers positions available.
• Must be available for a full day of training on November 14, 2013 and in February 2014 (TBD). Must also be available for ½ day norming/training sessions on November 19, 2013 and December 4, 2013. All training/norming will be conducted via web/phone conference.
• This is a Limited Term (250 hour maximum temporary) part-time position which is classified as an Admissions/Recruitment Specialist 2.
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
UC Berkeley has an online applicant website and no longer accepts applications via mail.
We require applicants to submit a cover letter and resume when applying for this position.
Please submit the cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
To apply, please visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu
Haas School Staff Positions Currently Open