Job Title: Marketing Communications Assistant (7551U) #17180
Job ID: 17180
Location: Main Campus-Berkeley
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Department: Haas Core Programs
Application Review Date:
The First Review Date for this job is: January 3, 2014. Resumes will be reviewed until the position is filled.
The Office of Marketing and Communications designs and implements a comprehensive, unified marketing and communications effort for the Haas School of Business and its degree and non-degree instructional programs, research centers, public service activities, and external relations activities. The Office is responsible for managing the Haas School/UC Berkeley “brand” image by providing strategic marketing and communications advice and planning to the Dean, the Dean’s Council, program directors, other senior staff and faculty throughout the School. The Office is also responsible for developing and managing a broad range of initiatives in marketing, communications (print and web-based, as well as other marketing communications channels such as video and smart phones), media relations, and community relations to promote greater external understanding and recognition of the Haas School’s contributions.
The Haas School of Business develops innovative leaders - individuals who redefine how we do business. Berkeley-Haas, the second oldest business school in the United States, educates 2,200 students each year in six degree-granting programs, and hundreds more through executive education programs. A team of 300 staff members support these students, faculty and alumni through work in areas that include Admissions, Student Services, Career Management, Administration, and Development.
Berkeley-Haas offers opportunities to champion new ideas, collaborate across boundaries, and learn continually. Our culture is captured by Four Defining Principles (Question the Status Quo, Confidence Without Attitude, Students Always and Beyond Yourself) that distinguish Berkeley-Haas as a place to learn—and a place to work.
To learn more about the Haas School visit: http://www.haas.berkeley.edu/haas/about/employment.html
The Marketing Assistant provides marketing and communications support and services to the Haas Marketing and Communications office. The job assists the Executive Director of Marketing and others on the staff in implementing and sometimes developing numerous and varied projects, which range from print publications to online marketing and communications, video uploading and productions, social media support, web page updating, event support and media relations, and many others, as needed. The assistant is also responsible for a range of financial transaction/bookkeeping and general administrative assignments for the MarCom office.
Works with management and clients to create, develop, and implement long and short term strategic communications plans and/or projects.
• Develop plans for and implementation of online video marketing presentations for the school’s degree granting programs and other units, acting as writer, video editor, producer, manager, vetting and hiring of video vendors, and trouble shooter from the concept to final launch of the video on the school’s web site.
• Responsibility for timely, accurate video uploads to YouTube and other Haas sites for the Dean’s Speaker Series and other events/etc.
• Assist with coordination of the Dean’s Speaker’s Series.
• Assist in the marketing and public relations aspects of the Haas Executive Fellows and Executives-in-Residence programs for the Dean.
• Coordinate and prepare information for Dean’s communications, both for video and printed and online formats.
• Plan and coordinate of special marketing/media events, as needed.
Ensures good customer service through providing appropriate information to answer questions and explain basic products and services.
Advises and consults with departmental/college administration regarding all aspects of communications including developing strong communications strategies that effectively deliver the desired message, policy interpretation, and problem resolution.
• Develops communications plans and projects as assigned by the Executive Director and other members of the team.
Researches and secures copyright and other legal clearances for publications, products, et cetera, keeping senior management informed as necessary.
Independently drafts and/or edits copy for marketing projects or programs such publications, advertisements, press releases, announcements, et cetera.
Duties include, but not restricted to:
• Design, create and coordinate promotional plans, including banners, for Dean’s Speaker Series and others; develop guidelines for banner use and messaging.
• Manage, write, and edit the Dean’s Speaker Series (DSS) website, and other web pages describing the Haas School, as assigned. Assist before, during, and after DSS events.
• Oversee creation of school’s holiday cards, pocket folder, and other publications projects.
• Maintain VIP and executive gifts program.
• Oversee faculty bio sections of Berkeley-Haas website, including handling periodic updates and contacting faculty for new information.
• Assist with online marketing technology, including changes to web pages using HTML.
• Oversee planning, writing, design, and the production of key marketing collateral printed publications such as program datasheets, brochures, promotion cards, etc.
• Special projects (both print and online)
Coordinates advertising placements and schedules.
Conducts basic market research and/or sales and generates and uses marketing and/or sales reports.
Creates/maintains marketing files, records, calendars, logs and other related documents.
Provides accounting support including account reconciliation as required. Regular duties include the following:
• General Financial Duties: Advise on purchasing process in regard to projects; Monitor overall budget and assist with individual budgets; Monitor that proper paperwork is initiated for projects; Monitor that policy is followed with regard to purchasing; Determine if small expenses are acceptable and where they are expensed.
• Monitor and ensure department adherence to purchasing policies
• Create requisitions and obtain required paperwork for all vendor contracts and purchases
• Submit invoices (with all required backup documents) to Business Services for processing and payment
• Work with individual department staff to ensure adherence to policies and timely payment to vendors
• Purchase office supplies and miscellaneous equipment for department staff, as needed.
• Maintain department purchasing records and provide information about said records to department staff upon request
Other duties include monthly review of budget and BAIRS reports, as assigned by the Executive Director.
Also coordinate logistics of bimonthly staff meetings, the annual offsite planning meeting, space planning (as needed), and staff timesheets.
Assist Senior Marketing Communications Manager with the following assignments, and others, as needed, including:
• Manage photography database and photo files.
• Assist in the planning, management (logistics), and direction of student, faculty, alumni, and event photography. Track and create clear spending reports for the marketing photo budget.
• Manage various aspects of production of marketing publications.
• Track and create clear spending reports for the marketing budgets of the various program offices
• Knowledge of and relevant experience in key aspects of communications, including strategic planning for various media venues, technical aspects and requirements of various venues, and most appropriate and effective applications.
• Knowledge and understanding of and relevant experience with technical applications to effectively direct technical staff, or personally perform technical work, including design concepts, various media, and applications.
• Knowledge, experience, and skills to advise and consult with management to ensure delivery of the desired message to target and/or broad general audiences.
• Solid knowledge of and experience with marketing principles, concepts, strategies and best practices, and their implementation.
• Solid knowledge of institutional products and services.
• Knowledge of customer service standards/procedures.
• Organizational skills and skills in file creation, maintenance and management.
• Solid written, verbal, interpersonal communications, active listening and political acumen skills.
• Ability to work successfully in a team environment.
• Ability to be flexible in handling various work assignments, and ability to handle successfully multiple projects going on simultaneously.
• Ability to manage student workers.
• Knowledge of and ability to conduct routine bookkeeping duties and monitor and expedite financial transaction procedures (pay invoices, file for reimbursements, etc.) for the MarCom office using UC Berkeley online financial systems.
• Ability to multitask a variety of complex projects simultaneously and work harmoniously and successfully with members of the MarCom team in carry out these projects.
• Prefer knowledge of the campus including its achievements, mission, vision, goals, objectives and infrastructure.
• Knowledge of HTML and Dreamweaver preferred.
Salary & Benefits
The salary for this full-time career position will range up to $55,000 plus benefits.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
HOW TO APPLY:
UC Berkeley has an online applicant website and no longer accepts applications via mail.
We require applicants to submit a cover letter and resume when applying for this position.
Please submit the cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
To apply, please visit http://jobs.berkeley.edu
Haas School Staff Positions Currently Open