Completing Request for Hire form
Fill in the current semester and the studentís name.
Determine Assistant Level
- Before any student can be hired, your faculty member or department manager must determine what is required of the student assistant. Refer to the descriptions of assistant levels at the top of the Request for Hire form as a general guide.
- How many hours a week will the student work? 10 hours per week can be estimated as 25%, 19 hours per week is considered 49%.
- Students cannot be hired without an appropriate chartstring: a fund, organization, or project.
- The name of a chartstring alone is not sufficient; please confirm that there are funds available in the account before submitting this form.
Start and End Dates
- Specific start and end dates must be provided; students cannot be entered into the HRMS without them.
- A start date may include any date on which training takes place for the student.
- If the faculty member or department manager is unsure about the end date, it is common to set it as the last day of the current semester and change it later.
Determining Hourly Wage
- It is the responsibility of the faculty member or department manager to recommend the hourly wage based on the Assistant Level (I, II, III, or IV) and the studentís resume. The campus pay scale range is listed at http://hrweb.berkeley.edu/pay/07asstrate.htm..
Must be signed and dated by the faculty member or department manager and submitted to Sharilane Suke, or Robbie Jackson in her absence.