Visiting Scholar Program
The Haas School of Business Visiting Scholar Program hosts national and international scholars interested in using the intellectual resources of the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley to further their research.
Who Are Our Visiting Scholars?
Current Application Deadlines
October 1 for visits starting between January and March
January 1 for visits starting between April and June
March 1 for visits starting between July and August
June 1 for visits starting between September and December
Visiting scholars must secure a sponsor who is a tenured or a tenure-track member (professor, associate professor, or assistant professor) of the Berkeley-Haas faculty. Information about Haas faculty can be found at the Haas Faculty and Executive Leadership Directory.
- With instructor’s permission visiting scholars may audit non-MBA courses.
- Visiting scholars are invited to attend Berkeley-Haas presentations, lectures, conferences, seminars, and other events.
- Visiting scholars are assigned a Berkeley-Haas email account and access to computers and other services at the Haas Media Services Center.
- Shared administrative support.
- Membership in the Haas Alumni Network (HAN).
- Visiting scholars may use the Berkeley-Haas School mailroom and copy machines.
- Visiting scholars have library privileges at the Thomas J. Long Library at Berkeley-Haas and other campus libraries.
- Visiting scholars are not granted office space, but must use public areas, such as the Thomas J. Long Library at the Haas School.
Visiting scholars are required to provide their own support funds. Our visiting scholars are typically funded by their own universities or other employers, private grant-making institutions, or government programs – either at home or abroad.
- $910 sponsorship charge
- $400 University Services fee that includes campus-wide library privileges. The charges are payable at the time you arrive on campus. Checks should be made out to U.C. REGENTS.
- All international scholars coming to the Berkeley campus on the J-1 visa must pay a one-time, non-refundable processing fee of $410. This must be made payable to U.C. REGENTS and returned with the J-1 visa application. If you are being funded by a program that processes a J-1 visa for you, such as the Fulbright Program, you do not need to pay this fee.
Visiting Scholars & Postdoc Affairs (VSPA) Office
Information about Visiting Scholar application procedures and university policies can be found at the Visiting Scholars & Postdoc Affairs (VSPA) Office web site. Please note Berkeley-Haas has its own application procedure which must be complete before completing the VSPA application.
Berkeley International Office
Information to enhance the academic, cultural, and social experiences of international scholars, as well as assistance in advising, immigration services, advocacy, and programming can be found at the Berkeley International Office web site.
Mail and Shipping Information
Haas School of Business
545 Student Services #1900 (mail address)
2220 Piedmont Avenue (delivery address)
University of California at Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-1900
If you have questions about the Haas School of Business Visiting Scholar Program, or would like an application please contact the Visiting Scholar Administrator.