Week Two and Beyond
Onboarding is a process; we want to make sure you are fully supported as you continue to learn about your role, unit and all that Haas and UC Berkeley have to offer. The action items, information and links outlined in the sections below will help you learn about the many professional development opportunities and resources that are available to you.
Within your first month
Be certain to enroll for your benefits
Review health and welfare benefit plans online at At Your Service. You have a period of initial eligibility (PIE) during which you may enroll yourself and your eligible family members. Your PIE starts on your first day of eligibility (the day you begin work in a position that makes you eligible for medical coverage).
There are different personnel policy sites depending on your payroll title.
- Personnel Policies for Staff Members
Personnel Policies for Staff Members applies to all staff employees systemwide whose positions are not otherwise governed by a collective bargaining agreement.
- Collective Bargaining Agreement
Schedule an Ergonomics Evaluation
Schedule an appointment with the Haas Facilities team for an ergonomic evaluation. Contact them at email@example.com.
Attend a UC Sponsored Orientation
New Employee Orientation is held every other month. We encourage you to attend as soon as possible - you'll learn about the campus, gain understanding of your benefits, and discover some new opportunities that are free to staff. To register, log on to blu using your CalNet ID. On the upper left-hand side of the page, click on "UCB Learning Center" at the bottom of the "Self Service" column. Enter "New Employee Orientation" in the search box and click on "go."
Explore Health & Wellness Resources
Within your first 3 months
Participate in the Haas Lunch and Learn
The Lunch and Learn, hosted by the HR Director and one of the Haas Assistant Deans, is a great opportunity to learn about the Haas history, strategic plan, centers and institutes, and more. Lunch and Learn is held every other month. You will receive a calendar invitation to participate within your first month.
Attend a Town Hall Meeting
Get Familiar with the Organizational Context
Understand how your work fits at Haas and on Campus.
Haas Organizational Charts
Campus Organizational Chart
Town Hall meetings are all staff meetings held twice a semester. These meetings are hosted by the Dean and Assistant Deans.
Explore Career and Professional Development Opportunities
You are joining a community of lifelong learners. There are several programs here to support your professional development.
There are several Haas specific professional development workshops organized by Haas HR and tailored to the needs of Haas staff. In addition, there is the Dean's Speaker Series with distinguished business leaders as well as selected recorded Evening and Weekend MBA course videos. Learn more about these opportunities.
Campus also offers professional development opportunities that cover a broad spectrum of areas:
- Career Development: UC Berkeley's excellent career development resources are available to all employees. The Career Counseling Program for Staff will help you identify your interests, values, skills and personality preferences and understand how these factors relate to career choice and satisfaction on campus. There are a number of excellent workshops on career development.
- UC Learning Center: a portal where you can enroll in campus-sponsored classes, take an e-course, read e-books, and more. To access the Learning Center, go to Blu and in the Self Service Section, select UCB Learning Center.
- TOP: Talent and Organizational Performance is the central HR unit that coordinates a variety of trainings and professional development programs for staff on the UC Berkeley Campus. To explore the professional development opportunities click here.
- UC Berkeley Extension: take a course or complete a certificate or specialized program at UCB Extension. UC Berkeley offers the Sponsored Tuition program where any staff member (career or contract) can take one class at UCB Extension - tuition is covered by the University. To find out more about this program, go to Blu and search for the Sponsored Tuition Program.
- Wisdom Café: a new learning website where Berkeley staff learn and share. Hang out at the Wisdom Café and share insights, read blog posts, and connect with peers across departments.
Within your first 6 months
Learn about the Haas Recognition Program
The recognition program at Haas recognizes the excellence that exists in all units and job functions at Haas. There are four types of awards: HEART, Spot, Achievement awards and Outstanding Staff Awards. Find out more about recognition at Haas and information on award recipients.
Get to Know your Community
Staff Organizations at Haas
- DSAC is an advisory committee consisting of six staff members who foster communication between Haas staff and the Dean.
- Engage@Haas is a group of staff members who organize events that build community among staff. Some of the most recent initiatives are the Peer Share Series, Game Day, and Volunteer Day. Look out for messages from Engage and be sure to attend any of the events and connect with colleagues.
- The Green Team is a group of staff members who are working on sustainability initiatives at Haas.
Happenings at Haas
- Travel Club: monthly brown bag lunch where a staff member shares photos/stories from a recent trip. Maggie Gajek is the organizer and sends a communication to all staff.
- Staff Appreciation Luncheon: annual event held in spring to say "thank you" to our staff community.
- Monthly Cake Day to celebrate birthdays and bring the community together. You will receive a calendar invitation.
- Holiday Party: year-end event to celebrate all that the Haas community has accomplished together.
- Many events hosted by Engage@Haas. You will receive announcements throughout the year.
Communications at Haas
- Read the Staff Lounge Blog and Haas Newswire
- Pay attention to the COO's Monthly Update
Connect with Staff Organizations on Campus
UC Berkeley has a diverse array of staff organizations and communities of practice. Getting involved and connecting with colleagues is an excellent professional opportunity that strengthens your knowledge and network on campus.
Use your Discounts and Perks
UC Berkeley staff enjoy many perks that come with working for one of the top employers in California. Your Cal 1 Card enables you to get discounts and special offers on athletic events, credit unions, and goods - here is the full list. In addition, you can also access music events, museums, lecture series and more. The events calendar is your one-stop site to find out what's happening on campus and will help you explore all that UC Berkeley has to offer. And don't forget that your Cal 1 Card provides you access to all University libraries.
Ask Questions and Consult with your Key Campus Resources
- Your Supervisor or Manager
- Haas HR Team
- Staff Ombuds Office: The Staff Ombuds Office provides strictly confidential and informal conflict resolution and problem-solving services.
- Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination: The Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination (OPHD) is responsible for ensuring the University provides an environment for faculty, staff and students that is free from discrimination and harassment on the basis of categories including race, color national origin, gender, age and sexual orientation/identity.
- Equity, Inclusion and Diversity Program: This office is charged with engaging staff and management to ensure staff diversity throughout the campus.
- Office of Ethics, Risk and Compliance Services: This office is charged with detecting and preventing non-compliant and/or unethical conduct throughout the campus.
- Work/Life Office: This guide provides staff with an overview of existing campus work/life policies, programs andand resources designed to support our campus community in balancing their work, family and personal lives.